ZOMDir > Blog

Saturday, 14 September 2013

What is in the CNAME?

For the ZOMDir project there are a few CNAME's used to redirect a subweb like blog.zomdir.com, via ghs.google.com, to  blogger.com

A few days ago I discovered that for all CNAME redirected subwebs it was not possible to set the crawl rate for Googlebot in Google Webmaster Tools. 


It might be coincidence, but I doubt it is. Therefor I started a test with CNAME's and the possibility to change the crawl rate.


The result is that I'm a little confused now. I thought it is easy to add a CNAME. However I get this results:

  1. cname.zomdir.com should show the content of original.helenahoeve.nl
  2. the page shown is www.zomdir.com
Vice versa
  1. cname.helenahoeve.nl should show the content of original.zomdir.com
  2. the page shown is www.zomdir.com
Sorry, I don't understand what's happening. 

Update: The problem described above occurs due to the fact that both sites are hosted by hosting2go. They state that CNAME will not work for a site in the same network which is the case.

The strange thing is that all other CNAME are pointing to ghs.google.com. In Google Admin I have to administer for each appengine site which URL is expected (e.g. websitequality.zomdir.com). Hmmm, that feels like an indication that the configuration as mentioned above will not work. I have to figure out what to do next ...

Tip: You can use mxtoolbox.com to find out what the actual CNAME is for cname.zomdir.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment